You Are My Sunshine
- You are my sunshine, my only sunshine,
- You make me happy when skies are gray.
- You'll never know dear, how much I love you;
- Please don't take my sunshine away.
- The other night dear, when I was sleeping,
- I dreamt I held you in my arms.
- When I awoke dear, I was mistaken;
- So I hung my head and I cried.
I'll always love you and make you happy,
- If you will only say the same,
- But if you leave me to love another,
- You'll regret it all some day.
You told me once, dear, you really loved me,
- And no one else could come between.
- But now you've left me and love another,
- You have shattered all my dreams.
Thanks very much to an anonymous visitor who e-mailed
me these verses, which read very much like a response to the original song!
- In dreams you say, dear, I come to haunt you,
- And leave you lonely to find I'm gone
- I make you happy in dreams at nighttime,
- But leave you lonely at break of dawn.
- I'm still your sunshine, your only sunshine
- I'll always love you, though I'm away
- I'm still your sunshine, just only yours dear
- I'm coming home someday
- You said you love me, you'd make me happy,
- I'll always love you, you know I'm true
- I'll never leave you to love another,
- I'll shine alone for you.
I know I told you I really love you
- I know I promised my love would stay
- I haven't left you to love another
- Please keep faith while I'm away.
In every dream I'm with you always
- My heart is longing for you alone
- I'm coming back, dear, to make you happy
- I'll be your sunshine, all your own.