Make Your Own Icicles
- a 3-, 2-, and 1-pound coffee can
- heavy string
- 3 colors of food coloring
- measuring stick
- 1) Use the nail to punch 3 holes evenly spaced along
the top of each can. Tie string through each hole and then tie the other
ends of the string together to form a loop with which to hang them.
- 2) In the bottom center of each can, make a hole
with the thumbtack, varying the size of the hole from can to can.
- 3) On a cold night, take the cans outside and fill
- 4) Using the food coloring, tint the water a
different color for each can.
- 5) Hang the cans in a safe place.
- 6) On the next morning, check the icicles.
Explanation: The size of the
icicle will depend on the size of the hole in the bottom of the can. The
larger the hole, the larger the icicle, because icicles form when water drips
from the same place for a long time. So if more water drips down, more water
will freeze into an icicle.
to Science and Technology Page
Guiding Resource Centre Main Menu